Instructions: This is a fill-in-the-blank exercise. Each question consists of a sentence with one or two words left out. For each question, think of the word or phrase that should fill each blank, then click on the blanks to see if you are correct.
1. "Binary" means having _________ _______. A ______ is a single "on" "off" value.
2. A device is called _________ if it has definite states but not necessarily only two.
3. Reasons for using binary:
4. Because binary signals are __________ they are immune to __________ .
5. The computer revolution is sometimes compared to the ____________ revolution in printing. Both are partly due to __________ fundamental operations replacing older complex operations.
6. An __________ signal can variously continuously in value and must be copied exactly or else information is lost.
7. With a binary signal, any value above a __________ value counts as a 1-bit and any value below that counts as a 0-bit.
8. For a computer system to work, the values of its binary signals can be measured only at certain times. The electronic component that determines these times is the ___________ .
9. Computer memory allows the system to save and retrieve _____________. How those are used by the rest of the system is irrelevant to the operation of memory.
10. ___________ is an agreement about how to represent most of the world's characters with 16-bit patterns.
End of the Exercise. If you want to do it again, click on "Refresh" in your browser window.