CHAPTER 27 — Stack-based Linkage Convention
Simple Linkage Convention of the previous chapter
lacked some features of high level languages.
This chapter adds some of these features
in a Stack-based Linkage Convention.
- Saving registers on the stack
- The Stack-based Linkage Convention
- The prolog and epilog of the called subroutine
- The call and return of the caller
- Nested subroutine calls and the chain of activation
- History of linkage conventions
- Example program: converting user input to upper case
In the Simple Linkage Convention of the previous chapter,
can a subroutine call another subroutine?